An Info Trax Publication

General MLM Industry Related Topics

Discuss any MLM topics that are not better suited to one of the other forums
+ Reply to Post

Social Media NWM Question

by Mike_Michelozzi » Sun May 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Is the amount of business - actual sales - in network marketing more hoped for and hyped than is actually happening in social media networking: face book, twitter, linkedin, etc.? My guess is it's more hoped for and hyped than is actually happening.

Thoughts?

HikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

Re: Social Media NWM Question

by CoachManny » Sun May 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Social Media is definitely making a difference for Beachbody coaches.

Especially those that have a great testimony that leads to amazing fitness before and after results.

It is very inspirational when you have done something others want.

Social Media has led me to sales of our products and coaches in my business.

Manny
CoachManny
Advanced Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Mon May 16, 2011 5:00 am

Anyone else. If few reply that tells me at least people on this forum aren't having the kind of success in actual sales on sm as the hope and hype suggest. I'm convinced a combination of sm w/web sites, videos, blogs etc. is going to become the new wave - Richard Poe said this years ago - of nwm. AND off line centers-of-interest including cold marketing will resurge.

Thoughts?

HikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by Steve_Fazia » Mon May 16, 2011 6:25 am

Mike,

Agree that the whole social networking phenomenom is more hype and hope when it comes to actual sales and enrollments for network marketers. Of course the gurus selling you info on how to cash in on Facebook, etc. would have you believe otherwise. It all boils down to relationship building, which may eventually lead you to more business. But as far as using social media as a primary means of increasing sales, most networkers will be sadly disappointed :(

Steve F.
Steve_Fazia
Advanced Member

by RobWynkoop » Mon May 16, 2011 7:58 am

Mike_Michelozzi wrote:Anyone else. If few reply that tells me at least people on this forum aren't having the kind of success in actual sales on sm as the hope and hype suggest. I'm convinced a combination of sm w/web sites, videos, blogs etc. is going to become the new wave - Richard Poe said this years ago - of nwm. AND off line centers-of-interest including cold marketing will resurge.

Thoughts?

HikinMike

Great observations Mike. I have sold one product via facebook - my first month in network marketing. Though I post and interact a lot with people on facebook, I've never gotten a distributor from it. I have had several people join my team as a result of this forum though - which is a social networking platform of sorts...

As far as the off-line centers of interest, I believe that when you use offline methods like print ads, etc., you gain a bit of credibility over those who only post on facebook or craigslist, etc... When you're spending cold hard cash on advertising, people take it a bit more serious in my opinion. (Especially when you place ads in industry pubs like NMBJ, Successfromhome, etc.)
Read thorough, objective MLM Reviews at crushyourdayjob.com
RobWynkoop
Advanced Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Mon May 16, 2011 2:33 pm

I like everyone's straight answers and they all match what I think is happening. I don't think hardly a day goes by when I don't meet someone else on sm announcing his/her [it seems a lot more her than him] coaching mentoring teaching leading training facilitating relationshipping expertise ready to show you how.

It all fits the pattern of what's being touted today - give away lots of freebies using blogs, videos, posts, and in-you-box news letters and use all of that to validate your expertise as you then market other things. I'm not knocking it - it can be effective marketing we all know that.

But like all of you - Manny being the exception so far - it appears to be a lot more hope and hype than actual sales and sponsoring w/sales. Over time some people will use sm well and over more time it will become better used I believe. So will off line personal contact without sm or coming from it.

Thouhts?

HikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by Daniwalker » Mon May 16, 2011 3:53 pm

I have been blogging since Oct 2010 - not very long but must say that the results have actually been quite amazing. I take a different approach to online marketing though.

I think there is way too much hype - almost equal to the hype in the industry. Many claims that buying this one product will make you an online millionaire and gain 20-100 leads a day....I will say this, it is not different than becoming successful at network marketing - It takes, diligence, excellence & skill with a plan.

I do NOT teach this to my team because I feel that it is NOT simple nor duplicatable ...as we all know, if it is not duplicated it won't work.

Anyway, I could be wrong on this as there are so many looking to create "free" leads online (me being one of them) but with the time it takes to make this happen, the learning curve and the competition - I think it is easier to have your team use and online system that they can send their prospects to, with all the information about your opportunity rather than them creating their own "online system".

There are some easier and less time consuming ways to start gaining leads online... article marketing, forum posts (like this), go to blogs and make comments to posts, start a facebook fan page.

If I new then what I know now...I would have done much more article marketing on ezine, goarticles, articleally and offered write articles for other peoples blogs (giving me authority and getting my message out). I probably would have held off on starting, continuing & promoting my own blog.

This is long winded but I really hope it helps.
Mompreneur
DWalker
Daniwalker
Jr Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Mon May 16, 2011 6:18 pm

I hear everything you're saying, Dani, and it's an attitude and approach I like, but I also think there are a lot of people doing exactly what you say and months then years pass and while they feel they are making friends and relationships and growing, very few sales or sponsoring have happened.

So then it becomes "it's a process" and more months and years later the process is still bigger than the few sales and recruiting that's happened,

That's another aspect more hope than hype of what I hoped:) this post would bring out and so far it's doing that.

Any more thouhts on all this?

HikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by ToddMorris » Mon May 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Mike_Michelozzi wrote:Is the amount of business - actual sales - in network marketing more hoped for and hyped than is actually happening in social media networking: face book, twitter, linkedin, etc.? My guess is it's more hoped for and hyped than is actually happening.

Thoughts?

HikinMike

Mike,

I really think it depends on exactly how it's being used ...

If social media is being used to drive LOCAL sales and contacts, then I think it can be effective .. for example we had some extra people come to our last "yard sale", and buy candles, because they saw the post that Ana put on the "Fort Hood Army Wives" facebook page.

That said, I tend to agree with your initial thoughts ...

I seriously doubt many people (although there are definitely exceptions .. probably a few that we know) are making a significant amount of sales of their primary product or service via online social media.

For the most part, I suspect that the majority of people who are actually making money via social media are involved in the whole, selling products that teach people how to make money on social media ... the formula for which is almost always some version of: join my affiliate program and sell this ebook/video series/cd recording to other people who want to learn how to make money on social media :D

In the end, it's just another tool ... and like every other potential tool in our arsenal, how effective it will be depends greatly on how we choose to use it.

Just my opinion of course.

Todd
"True Happiness comes from Wanting What You Have ... not Having What You Want"
ToddMorris
Advanced Member

by Steve_Fazia » Mon May 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Another thought I just had on this subject is that it might depend on the type of business being promoted. I've yet to generate any customers/distributors for my nutrition business, not that I've directly tried. Many know I'm in that field and may someday inquire, who knows. It has not happened yet. But, on the other hand, some here know that I recently diversified into a non-nutrition venture that lends itself much better to social media. One small mention of that concept over 3 months ago has generated a handful of members for my group, which is growing daily through word of mouth. I have only posted about it one other time since, so there appears to be a strong viral component to certain businesses, especially when there is no cost to get connected....

Steve F.
Steve_Fazia
Advanced Member

by Craig_Mattice » Tue May 17, 2011 2:11 am

This is an area I watch pretty closely and have discussed with other "non-affiliated" FB members. Much of what has been said is right on target. I believe the whole sm phenomena is just that, a phenomena, but not producing as the gurus and alleged experts claim.

Yes, it depends greatly on what business the individual is involved, yet it is more the approach than anything else. FB appears to have three types of users, in my personal observation. Those who truly wish to make new friends and reconnect with old friends having a sincere interest and/or common interest to share something of value and benefit. Those who beat FB users over the head with incessant posts of how great their products, company, and their group growth are every given moment. To include listing statistics, webinairs, conference calls, then a spewing how unbelievable those events and the results were to the extreme. Finally, there are the members who actually believe people care they are mowing the lawn, changing the baby, or playing games with tremendously high scores, none of which are relevant or beneficial.

Regarding the value of doing business; the old adage of make friends and develop relationships first, connecting with the individuals, then sharing the business or product applies. Those who do nothing but seemingly cram their business down member's throats at every post and sometimes as many at 20+ posts in a day, I simply hide their total postings. No, there is no attraction or incentive for someone to respond positively to that type of marketing.

Allow me to liken it to watching the NFL channel and how many times in an hour they play the commercials of the bus touting Play 60 and the in-your-face return of the men's CLICKING SPAM LINKS IS DANGEROUS by the women. Sometimes showing those two commercials three times in sequence during one break. Mute!

My fear, MLM/NWM members are creating a repeat of what happened on My Space and Ryze. Any business generated is grossly disproportionate to the amount of marketing posts, in my observation. This is all simply one person's observations who is active on FB at all hours of any given day.
Craig Mattice
Living Life On My Terms! No Excuses, NO Regrets!
Choose Wisely in Life

http://www.aboutcraigmattice.com
Craig_Mattice
Advanced Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Tue May 17, 2011 4:37 am

Todd, Craig - great insights. Also Steve, I can see how something goes may be more what it is that other factors if you're doing the "right things" and not bumming out people with constant marketing. Sometimes I'm not sure where that line is drawn.

So far we've all come to the same conclusions and each have an insight into something specific. Also so far no one is claiming to be making a fortune using sm - and I'm assuming more have looked at this than have posted.

I wonder what holds true for people using landing pages with other advertising and placement activity. I know Shelley has done exceptionally well with that for sales. What I don't ever hear beyond sales from anyone is how that kind of marketing is producing deep down lines.

When I start looking into all the info that has to do with social media of all kinds and marketing/advertising using landing pages with all the ways you position, I get lost. Recently I listened to an hour webinar a guy in social media on linkedin did - he gave lots of ideas - and at the end I was happy to have taaken lots of nots but what to do with it - for me that's always where I fall off and I have a feeling I'm not alone.

I'm still waiting to hear from anyone who has done all of the above and has has super success meaning sales, building a down line, and at least a resulting middle to high five or six figure income. Having said all that and read all your posts, it still looks to me that there is a future looking good in nwm online using all this. Thoughts?

HikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by Craig_Mattice » Tue May 17, 2011 5:14 am

I'm afraid Mike, you are looking for the answer to a question you have already answered for the last 15-18 years.

You practice "smm" or Social Mike Marketing. I know, "What did he just say???" That's right! Social Mike Marketing and that/this is the way network marketing should be done; regardless of the new technology, toys, gimmicks, and passing phenomena occurring constantly in this industry. At least according to all of those gurus and experts with their hands out to make money off all of those who think social marketing is the new panacea and golden age for riches in network marketing. It's riches all right, for them.

Mike, how many times over the many years I've known you have you proved over and over again the success of your laid back, I will teach you what you are ready to learn and put into action, but let Shirley and I get to know you "FIRST?"

I say simply, "HELLO!!!" There is the secret to network marketing for contacting leads, developing prospects, and building a long lasting solid organization. I would venture to guess if this were posted on FB everyone's monitor would steam up when viewed by those gurus and experts on social marketing claiming loudly the "SMM" method is dead and old fashioned. Go figure!
Craig Mattice
Living Life On My Terms! No Excuses, NO Regrets!
Choose Wisely in Life

http://www.aboutcraigmattice.com
Craig_Mattice
Advanced Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Tue May 17, 2011 9:30 am

Craig you know how to flatter and of course you are right:) I can't disagree - smm that's good Craig always the man with the quick and creative mind. We can both name people who have come here who do the same - the way nwm happens.

One I really like and respect when it comes to knowing sm and other IT marketing things is AnnaLaura Brown. She's one of the best and communicates so well.

HikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by Keith Arthur » Wed May 18, 2011 9:46 am

I'll make more money talking to 4-5 people people in a coffee shop, hotel meeting, etc. than spamming a fb list with 2000 "friends" on it.
JEUNESSE Advanced Skin Care is a leader in skin care therapy and cosmetic treatments, with a full range of skin care services.

Try it yourself...

http://www.jeunesse.com.au/
Keith Arthur
Jr Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 am

This isn't about spamming people.

HikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by CoachManny » Wed May 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Keith Arthur wrote:I'll make more money talking to 4-5 people people in a coffee shop, hotel meeting, etc. than spamming a fb list with 2000 "friends" on it.

If you see Social Media Marketing as spamming you might have a little education to do.

I do believe it comes down to your product and the company and you.

How do your friends look at you?

Manny
CoachManny
Advanced Member

by Mike_Michelozzi » Wed May 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Manny's right and he does it very well.

HikinMike
Mike_Michelozzi
Advanced Member

by cruisin_man » Wed May 18, 2011 6:00 pm

Keith Arthur wrote:I'll make more money talking to 4-5 people people in a coffee shop, hotel meeting, etc. than spamming a fb list with 2000 "friends" on it.

I keep my personal Facebook personal, and use fan pages and business pages for business.
Get Paid To Play - Join the ultimate Fantasy Sports League . . .

https://www.fantasydraft.com/play/paidtoplay
cruisin_man
Advanced Member

by CoachManny » Wed May 18, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm also noticing that time of day gets more lookers.

When I put Notes(articles) out there certain time of day gets more responses.

When I put status updates I gain fans.

I get responses all the time about following me on facebook.

One way I attract attention as well is to NEVER BE SELFISH.

I am constantly going to other pages and saying hi. Show them who i am. Show them that I appreciate them for what goes on in their lives. Bond and rapport.

There are ways to make it work.

Again...my product goes perfect with me and what i do already on an everyday basis.

Our company does over 100million on advertising. So when I show actions using products (pictures of me and others...posts of using the product) and they are familiar with the product and may have already thought about doing it...The company already started my work for me...I just have to close.

It's working...I'm always getting a phone call or a message.

Manny
CoachManny
Advanced Member